Here are our top ten ways to “Go Green” in Nashville.
1. Turn off your electronics. Although you may turn off the power on your electronics when you are done with them, if they are plugged into the wall, they may still draw electricity. In order to ensure they are turned off when not in use, you should have your electronics plugged into a power strip and turn the power strip off.
2. Switch to Energy Star-rated CFL light bulbs. These light bulbs use less energy and will last longer than regular light bulbs!
3. Insulate your water heater by wrapping an insulation blanket around it. This will help to lower the cost of running it.
4. If you have a dishwasher, use it rather than washing by hand. A full dishwasher uses less than half the amount of water as hand-washing does. You can reduce the amount of water used even further by not rinsing dishes before washing them. Dishwashers today are purposely made to handle cleaning dishes that have not been rinsed.
5. Purchase a faucet mounted water filter rather than buying bottled water. Using a refillable bottle and drinking water out of the faucet will save a great deal of money every year!
6. Turn the water off while brushing your teeth. It is recommended to brush your teeth for two minutes each time. By turning the water off while you are brushing, you can save about five gallons of water every time you brush.
7. Install a thermostat that is programmable. This way, you can turn the heat down or air conditioning up while you are gone for the day and then heat it up or cool it down before you get home.
8. Upgrade the toilets within your home to low-flow toilets. This will reduce the amount of water that is used with each flush.
9. If you are using a top load washing machine, switch to a front loader. You will use less than half the water running a full load in a front loader than you would with a top load washing machine.
10. Know the “green” offers of your existing services. For example, Nashville Electric Service (NES) now offers electricity users a choice in the type of power they buy through its Green Power Switch® initiative.
There are so many tips and ways to go green, and save money at the same time. If you’re in the market for a green home in Nashville, we’d love to help! Give us a call or drop us a line at 615-550-5655 today!