It’s not unusual for people to decide in the fall they want to sell their home in the coming spring. After all, spring is considered prime time in real estate to list a house. One of the benefits of doing so is the considerable amount of natural curb appeal the season provides as flowers, trees and shrubs begin to bloom. There’s a common misconception about selling in the winter. People tend to think it’s a less ideal time to list. However, selling a home in winter can actually pay off significantly for homeowners even without nature’s beauty to enhance the home. If you plan to sell in the next month or two here are some ideas for maximizing winter curb appeal and bring top dollar for your house.
- Prioritize safety – The most obvious need here is to be sure home buyers can safely make it to the front door! Keep walkways, stairs, and porches clear of debris, snow, and ice. This is also a great time to double check railings.
- Exterior lighting – Know what adds a lot of curb appeal, especially in the winter? Exterior lighting. Not only will it make the home safer, but it makes the whole house feel warmer and more inviting.
- Check the exterior – Without blooming trees or shrubs to take attention off the exterior of your home, now’s the time to be sure it looks its best. Watch out for chipping paint, overgrown gutters, and leftover grime from the summer months.
- Add color to the entry – If ever you wanted a red front door, this would be the time to go for it. During winter, everything dulls so it’s a great time to add a splash of color to your front door. If that feels too bold, you can always plant small evergreen shrubs in bright pots and add them to the front porch. It’s another opportunity to bring warmth and color to your entry.
- Yard work – Think that fall ends the yard work? Think again. Better tidy up the lawns, clean out the landscaping beds, and keep dead leaf piles away when your home is on the market.
Selling your home in the winter doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice curb appeal. Try these tips to get your home totally show-worthy for buyers! If you’d like more tips on how to maximize your home’s winter curb appeal call DeSelms Real Estate today at 615.550.5565 and speak with one of our award winning agents!