Buying a new home is tremendously exciting. It’s a whole new adventure, whether you are a first time homebuyer or on your 3rd house. As experienced Nashville REALTORS we talk with clients every day about the possibility of buying a new home. And we’ve learned a few things along the way. Here are our suggestions for what to consider when buying a house:
- Are your finances in order? This includes not only your down payment and credit score, but also your long term financial situation. Purchasing more house than you can afford is never a good idea. Home ownership comes with unexpected costs in repairs and maintenance and you want to be sure you are prepared.
- How long will you stay? Obviously no one can predict unexpected life events that cause people to move. When buying a house though, it’s important to imagine staying more than a couple years. Otherwise, buying a house may not be the right move financially. Most REALTORS suggest planning to stay at least 5 years in a home.
- Does the neighborhood suit you? Check the demographics of the neighborhood to see if it’s a good fit for you. Is it largely families with school-aged children? Working professionals? Older, retirees? Are you surrounded by retail stores and hip coffee shops? Neighborhood demographics can define the community and being happy long term means looking at that closely before buying a house.
- What is your priority list? Have you made a list of everything you want in your house? If so, you may not get it all. Prioritizing what’s most important can help you compromise on what’s not. The Nashville real estate market currently has less houses for sale than buyers – which means that homebuyers may be buying a house without every every single feature.
- Are you willing to do some work? Move-in ready homes are wonderful for homebuyers. After all, there’s nothing to do but move in and make it home! But for those Nashville homebuyers willing to do a little repairing and/or remodeling there are some great houses available. Often, these Nashville homes cost less, but present a big opportunity for resale profit.
Are you considering buying a house in Nashville this spring? Call DeSelms Real Estate today at 615.550.5565 and let one of our experienced Nashville REALTORS help you find the perfect home!